Wednesday, April 24, 2013

INTO THE DARKEST CORNER by Elizabeth Haynes



RATING : 5 Stars

Into the Darkest Corner was a gripping, creepy and engrossing read. This book was recommended to me by a good friend of mine and of course many of my Goodreads friends. Since then i had this book in my to-be-read shelf. I don't have a clear explanation for putting off this book to a later read. Eventually i had to pick it up after seeing my friends gushing about it. It has the most chilling plot line that i have read in a very long time. I'm not a squeamish person, but surprisingly this book creeped me out. Haynes writing was intense and unputdownable.  

The book flips back and forth between past and the present happenings. The protagonist Catherine Bailey(past) has been enjoying the single life as a coquette for long enough to know a good catch when she sees one. She meets charismatic Lee and starts dating. Her friends too clearly agrees he is gorgeous. Their relationship starts out to be amazing but later Catherine finds out Lee has a darker side. Her friends start suspecting her for their rocky relationship, this is because Lee is a charmer and begins to tell her friends that aren't true about Catherine. She is driven into the darkest corner of her world, and trusting no one. She makes  a scrupulous plan to escape her predicament.

Four years later (present) Lee is  behind the bars and Catharine now Cathy(changes her name) is suffering from OCD and PTSD. She isolates herself  and starts checking things over and over. Every time she enters the house she ensures her apartment main door lock is safely secured, and checks the curtains,  bathroom doors, kitchen cabinets, room, her personal belongings. She has a count for checking. If she feels something is wrong she would start it again. Now Cathy doesn't trust anyone and always has a thought that Lee is watching her even though he is in prison. She meets Stuart, a psychologist who lives in the apartment above her and he convinces her to seek treatment for her OCD. Eventually they start liking each other but Cathy is wary in stepping into another relationship. After a while she finds out something strange at her place and realizes Lee is back.

While reading this book I felt like I was developing OCD and I did check my door. I kid you not, even the slightest noise scared me and my heart pounded. I wanted to slow down to take things happening in the book and assure myself that its a fictional one but I couldn't resist any longer and I whipped through book quickly. Yes, it was that gripping and intense. I was cringing in shock when I read the last few lines. In my opinion it is a Riveting novel.

I know what you're thinking now... Wondering what is Lee's darker side and how did Catherine  change to Cathy and what is Cathy's final move??? Well.. grab a copy of this book and find out for yourself!!

I would highly recommend this book to  anyone who wants to get sucked in a good thriller and  get creeped out. If by any chance you are going to read it before you hit the sack be ready to face your nightmares.

9 comments:

  1. Great review! This was just a fantastic book, wasn't it? I'll definitely be reading more by Haynes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.. :) Absolutely fab read.. I have Haynes other book Dark tide. Look out for my review of Dark tide soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute blog you have Ini :D Hope to see more reviews from you. :D

    ~Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules.. :) yep I ll be posting my reviews soon...

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I'm your newest follower and I would love it if you could come check out my blog to follow back. I blog about my favourite music and books over at Music Plus Books. I'm also running a giveaway where you could win any book and any album you want. Hope you like it!
    Music Plus Books
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura.. your blog sounds interesting.. I'll definitely drop by!!!

      Delete
  5. Lovely review!
    I have been considering reading this book foreeeever, and I think I have to now! (:

    ReplyDelete

I read, reply, and appreciate every one the comments (: If you're a fellow blogger please leave the link to your blog, I'd love to drop by!!

Unfortunately this is an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...